Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Anthony Petullo Collection



Today my Vernacular and Self-Taught Art class had the opportunity to meet with Mr. Petullo in his studio. To my surprise his office is conveniently located only 2 blocks from the school. It has come to my attention that Wisconsin -- Milwaukee in particular -- contains some of the largest collections of Outsider Art around.

Tony was very welcoming and did not hesitate to pull out pieces from storage at will. At one point I was holding two pieces of work in my hand that were probably worth more then my existence. The class spent most of their time researching an artist from his gallery and then presenting it to the class with additional information from Tony himself. He also shared with the class what it was like to be a collector and an author. Tony's new book, "Art Without Category" explores various British and Irish self-taught artists from his collection, and can be purchased from his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment