Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Residential Art



As I walked down the streets of Milwaukee in search of some glorious item for my found object assignment, I began to look around with a heightened sense of awareness. The first thing I noticed were the unique homes here in the city. It's a subtle yet refreshing change coming from the monotonous maze like areas of earth toned suburban homes near my parents house in Waukesha.

Not only are the homes here unique in shape and color, but the decor as well. Some litter their front walkway with potted plants, while others strew about strange relics they've accumulated over the years.


I began to think deeply about the idea of home decoration as intuitive art. The simple act of self expression to separate oneself from the community. A marker or five that says, "this is my house, this is me." Why is it that some are called to separate themselves, while others feel the need to camouflage and hide amongst the masses? The above images depict two extreme cases found within the same area in Toronto.

1 comment:

  1. Being a designer, I love the idea of personalizing a space. I don't sit on a patio to look at another patio. I'm there for the sunset.....I think most of the world would personalize their space the way they want if the money was there. I know there's a lot of changes I would make to my home if I could afford it.

    I'm working on a project dealing with sensitive design in residential architecture and urban design. I've only begun but check it out and let me know what you think.
    www.crassiart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete